Monday, December 24, 2012

Eating strawberries I grew myself | Fig and Cherry

Posted on September 12, 2012 by ChristieNorthern Rivers Stories





They are small. They are ugly. They are mine.


I grew these strawberries and no matter how they look, I love them.


You might remember last week when I told you I have moved house. Our new house has a strawberry patch and so far I have not been able to eat any of the strawberries that have grown in it.


Why?


Well, there is a certain little (almost) Miss 2 year old who discovered them and hoed on in. But Mummy is smarter than her.


I started putting nice big ripe juicy strawberries (that we bought from the farmers market) into the strawberry patch to teach her that you only eat the ripe ones. Not the green ones. Not the half ripe ones. Not the leaves. Just the big juicy red ones. Which, incidentally, are much easier to pull out (because, shhh, they arenand#8217;t attached!).


She got the idea pretty quickly. And then there were some left for meand#8230;



I picked these this morning after 20 minutes on my exercise bike and 15 minutes of abdominal exercises (ouch!). If you want to eat a lot, you have to move a lot. Sadly.


I toppled some macadamia muesli into a bowl, topped it with my favourite yoghurt right now (five:am honey and cinnamon) and threw in the tiny strawberries along with some new-season blueberries.


Usually I would add some walnuts and chia seeds, but I was so gung-ho that I forgot. I just closed my eyes and let every taste bud enjoy my home-grown babies, I mean, berries.


Yep, I could get used to this country living business.


How is your garden going?


Christie x

No comments:

Post a Comment