Monday, December 24, 2012

Toddler meals: lunch and dinner ideas with pictures! | Fig and Cherry

Posted on October 19, 2012 by ChristieToddler meal ideas





A friend of mine who has a toddler the same age as Poppy recently asked me to please post ideas for toddler meals. (Hi Katya! See I told you I would do it!).


I absolutely adore the ideas that my blogging pal Veggie Mama publishes, and I am always totally inspired afterwards, so I thought Iand#8217;d have a go at posting some of the meals I feed to Poppy. Perhaps you will be inspired too?


Over the last few weeks I have taken photos of some of her meals with some of them taken at dinner time, so the pictures are quite crappy and#8211; but I think they are good enough to give you an idea anyway.


Without further ado, letand#8217;s get startedand#8230;


First picture above is whole hard boiled egg, four bean mix (from the can, drained), SAO crackers with peanut butter and finely sliced cucumber. Get ready, I serve cucumber a lot! I suspect Poppy thinks it is a fruit because it is so juicy. In any case, itand#8217;s good she eats it! Thatand#8217;s a win for Mum.



This is a big favourite: boiled small pasta, peas, grated cheese and a little bit of melted butter with salt and pepper.


I love eating these leftovers! Although I have stopped doing that now as I am trying to lose weight (most probably put on by eating tasty leftovers like these. Sigh).



Attempting the closed sandwich and failing. My darling Poppy insists on open sandwiches ONLY. She likes to touch and lick the toppings and will pull apart any closed sandwiches and eat each side separately.


Oh, and she always eats them the wrong way around and#8211; topping-side DOWN so the topping hits her tongue first. As in, the opposite way you eat a piece of toast.


Makes sense I guess, as you get the flavour on your tongue, not the roof of your mouth and#8211; but boy is it messy!!


Anyway here we have: sliced strawberry, sliced pear and sandwich fingers on wholemeal bread with ham and avocado.



We were having cous cous salad for lunch this day so I just put all the elements separately on her plate. She got so excited about the cous cous that she scooped it up with a spoon and straight over the edge of the table! Then I transferred it to a bowl.


Whatand#8217;s on the plate: cooked cous cous mixed with pesto, diced capsicum, diced cucumber, diced avocado and corn cut straight from the cob and served raw (it was very fresh).



This week she decided that she didnand#8217;t like egg yolks any more. OK then.


Here we have: cold leftover pasta, cucumber (see, I told you I always serve it!) and a boiled egg with the yolk removed.



For once, she ate what we were eating for dinner, hooray! Chicken schnitzel, peas and boiled potato.



Here we have: avocado on multigrain toast (her favourite), cheddar cheese, four bean mix.



OK, Iand#8217;m a bit embarrassed about this last one, but Iand#8217;m posting it for the good of the community and#8211; to show that even someone who is obsessed by food can lose their way once in a while!


This crazy combination is raisin toast, grated carrot, cheddar cheese, one whole strawberry and cubed cucumber. For dinner. Shut up, I know. Itand#8217;s weird.


To be honest she just ate the toast, the cheese and the strawberry and then looked at me with pure crazy eyes. Fair enough.


Would love to hear your feedback on these as I often get stuck in a rut with the same things (uh, cucumber) even though I actively try to offer a wide variety each day.


Whatand#8217;s your go-to meal for your toddler? 


Christie x

No comments:

Post a Comment